While your standard whey protein powder is “fast digesting,” casein protein is “slow digesting,” steadily supplying you with nutrients over an extended period of time. Casein has the unique ability to “gel” once it hits your stomach acids. This slows down digestion and allows for a slower and more efficient release of amino acids (the building blocks of protein). This essentially gives your muscles a slow and consistent supply of fuel - helping to boost muscle growth and aid with recovery.

Shop the best casein protein brands available online. View our range of products below.

What Is Casein Protein And How Does It Work?

Milk contains two primary types of protein - casein and whey. Casein makes up 80%, while whey accounts for the remaining 20%. As mentioned above, the main difference between casein and whey is that casein powder digests slowly, while whey protein digests quickly. Because casein releases amino acids much slower, people will often take it before bed to help with recovery and reduce muscle breakdown while they sleep. Like other animal proteins, casein is also a complete protein source. This means it provides all of the essential amino acids your body needs for growth and repairs.

Casein is “anti-catabolic” in nature, meaning it can reduce protein breakdown thanks to its slow digestion rate and consistent supply of amino acids. It also helps your muscle cells synthesize protein, even when your body would normally be breaking down your muscles to fuel itself. Such as when you haven’t eaten for an extended period of time.

The Benefits Of Casein Protein Powder:

  • Assists with muscle growth and recovery - Similar to whey protein, casein has been proven to enhance muscle growth and strength when combined with resistance training. As a bonus, supplementing with casein can also help you lose fat.
  • Reduces protein breakdown - Casein can also increase muscle mass by reducing protein breakdown. Protein breakdown occurs when your body is lacking energy and the necessary amino acids. This process is often accelerated by intense exercise or weight loss. This is why casein is usually taken at night, as it can help prevent the protein breakdown that usually occurs while you’re sleeping.
  • Decreases your appetite - As well as helping with protein breakdown, the constant supply of aminos has also been shown to make you feel fuller.
  • Convenient source of protein - Casein protein powder is one of the best and most convenient source of protein. Because it releases amino acids slowly, there’s no need to take it immediately after you workout. People often find it easiest to take right before they go to bed.

Experience The Slow Burning Benefits of Casein Protein

Sportsfuel brings you high quality sports and nutrition products from NZ and all over the world. Check out our wide range of Protein Powders at best prices today!

Your cart (0 items)

  • Order subtotal:$0.00
  • Est. Shipping & Handling:$0.00
  • Subtotal:-$NaN

You Qualify for FREE Shipping!