When you're new to working out, it's tempting to simply focus on getting into the habit of hitting the gym regularly, but there is more to it than just working out. Diet and supplementation are crucial to achieving your training goals.
Starting on a new training program means putting new demands on your body, and in order for your body to meet those demands, the right nutritional support is required. This doesn't mean that you have to take dozens of supplements every day, just the top supplements for beginners..
These five essential supplements for beginners can easily provide you with the nutritional support that you need as you begin on the path toward accomplishing your fitness goals.
There is no nutrient that is more important to promoting muscle development and assisting with recovery after workouts than protein. For the average person, protein only needs to make up about 10 to 15 per cent of one's daily calorie intake, but for strength trainers, roughly 20 to 30 per cent of calories should come from protein.Protein supplements make it easy to get the amount of protein that you need to build new muscle and to repair strain to your body after workouts.
- Muscle Recovery
- Muscle Growth
- Strength Gains
- For Muscle Gain and for Dieting
2. Fish OilsOmega-3 fatty acids are key to everyone's health, not just athletes and fitness enthusiasts, and studies show that most people don't get enough of these important nutrients through diet alone. A fish oil supplement helps to prevent omega-3 fatty acid deficiencies to keep your body functioning optimally.
Plus, fish oils have been shown to promote the processes that burn body fat and replace it with lean muscle mass.
- General Health Benefits
- Optimal Body Function
3. Branched Chain Amino Acids
Branched chain amino acids or BCAAs include the amino acids leucine, isoleucine and valine. When used together, these nutrients provide a number of benefits. They can help you maintain energy levels during your workouts and allow you to produce more explosive movements to enhance your results.
Plus, they help your body produce more protein, which in turn can lead to greater increases in muscle mass.
- Energy levels
- Great for consuming during workouts
- Muscle maintenance and growth
The most abundant amino acid present in the muscle tissue, glutamine is essential to muscle health. During your workouts, glutamine levels can quickly become depleted, leaving the muscles weakened. Replenishing your body's supply of this key amino acid by taking a glutamine supplement post workout can help your muscles recover and grow in response to exercise.
Plus, glutamine supports a healthy immune system and assists with digestive function.
- Immune System
- Digestive Function
5. CreatineNumerous tests have confirmed the benefits of creatine, a substance that is naturally produced by the body and that is primarily stored in the muscles. When you workout, creatine helps to supply the energy needed to power your muscles through movements.
Creatine supplements can increase the levels of this nutrient in your muscle tissue, so that you're less likely to experience fatigue during workouts. The supplement can also support increases in muscle size.
- Workout Energy
- Increased Strength
- Increased Muscle